Depression, like many other mental health conditions can be debilitating, making it difficult for you to maintain employment and even do everyday tasks. Fortunately, you may be able to receive Social Security disability benefits.
If your claim has been denied, our Phoenix Social Security Disability attorneys can help you get the benefits you need.
Although the Social Security Administration does not list depression separately, it is considered under Section 12.04 in the Listing of Impairments.
In order to meet the requirements for this type of disability, you must have medical documentation of the following symptoms:
- Lack of energy
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Disruptions in sleep
- Unintentional movement
- Unable to physically carry out everyday activities
- Anhedonia, or a continual, all-encompassing loss of interest in daily activities and things you used to enjoy doing
- Weight gain or loss caused by changes in appetite
- Difficulty thinking or concentrating
- Suicidal thoughts
- Paranoia, delusions or hallucinations
Your mental illness symptoms must be documented by a healthcare professional like a psychiatrist or psychologist. This documentation should also show that your symptoms are anticipated to last or have lasted at least 12 months.
Next, you must show that at least two of the following are affected by your symptoms of depression:
- Social functioning communicating with family members
- Your ability to maintain concentration, persistence, or pace especially with work
- Activities of daily living paying bills, running errands
- Repeated, extended occurrences of deterioration in your condition
Even if your symptoms are under control because of therapy and medication, you may qualify for Social Security benefits if you have had two years of chronic symptoms and if one of the following applies:
- Even a slight environmental change would cause symptoms to spiral.
- You cannot live outside of a supportive living environment.
Schedule Your Free Disability Consultation Today
Because those with depression may struggle to find the energy or ability to complete and follow through on an application for disability benefits, it is best to have a disability benefits lawyer on your side to guide you through the process.